Free Case Evaluation
(936) 632-2000

How Can I Check for Recalls on Bicycles, ATVs and Motorcycles?

Posted On July 21, 2018 In Personal Injury

Manufacturers recall millions of motor vehicles each year. These vehicles may contain safety defects that can put your life at risk or lead to a severe injury. Additional types of vehicles are subjected to recalls for the same reason. Bicycles, ATVs and motorcycles can also contain dangerous manufacturing or design defects.

You can check for recalls on bicycles, ATVs and motorcycles. However, there are different federal agencies that coordinate with manufacturers on recalls for these products. Our blog is going to walk you through how to use resources provided by these agencies to determine the recall status of a bicycle, ATV or motorcycle.

Step #1: Checking on Recalls for ATVs and Bicycles

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) coordinates recalls for defective ATVs and bicycles. Unless you receive a recall notification directly from the manufacturer, then you must use the CPSC’s website to check the recall status for these products.

The CPSC’s website has a search bar at the top that allows you to type in specific manufacturers for ATVs, bicycles and associated products. You could type in the manufacturer and product name to determine its recall status. In addition to using the search bar, you can also sign up for regular email notifications when there are recalls on these products. There are also regular recalls for bicycle helmets and other safety equipment.

Step #2: Checking on Recalls for Motorcycles

Federal laws require motorcycle manufacturers to notify you of recalls. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) coordinates recalls for motorcycles. If you already know how to check for vehicle recalls, then it will be easier to check the recall status of your motorcycle.

Like regular vehicles, you can check your motorcycle’s recall status by using NHTSA’s website. You will need to grab the motorcycle’s vehicle identification number (VIN) before you can conduct a search. The VIN is typically located on the steering neck or near the cylinders.

Recently announced recalls and recalls conducted more than 15 years ago may not be on NHTSA’s website. Foreign vehicles may also not be in the recall search results.

What If My Bicycle, ATV or Motorcycle Has an Unfixed Recall?

You can receive free repairs or a replacement if you own a bicycle, ATV or motorcycle with an unfixed recall. However, you would need to contact the manufacturer or dealership to schedule an appointment for repairs. These businesses may not always have the parts available that are needed to conduct repairs.

Mike Love & Associates, LLC is a Lufkin personal injury law firm. Our attorneys accept product liability cases. You can speak to one of our attorneys during a free consultation if a defective product caused you or a loved one harm. To schedule a consultation, call (936) 632-2000 or use our online case review form.

Free Case Evaluation
if we can’t help there’s no charge to you